The District of Columbia lost the following individuals through violence this week:
- There were no homicides in the District, although there were six shootings and a number of other violent crimes, during the first days of of 2016.
- One death earlier in 2015 was ruled a homicide this past week: 74-year-old James E. McBride died following a struggle with guards at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, 9/29/15; he was attempting to leave the hospital without signing out.
- DC experienced 162 homicides, predominantly shootings, in 2015. (Washington Post map)
- December 9 — 3500 block of East Capitol Street, SE (gunshot)
23-year-old Michael Tyrone Jones, Jr. of Southeast, DC.
- 2006 shooting in 1900 block of 18th Street SE (gunshot)
declared homicide following victim’s November death in 2006 shooting
25-year-old Gary Brown of Northwest, DC
- December 15 — 4700 block of 1st Street, SW (gunshot)
30-year-old Arthur Baldwin of Upper Marlboro, MD.
- December 16 — 2500 block of 36th Place, SE (gunshot)
26-year-old Eric Brooks of Southeast, DC.
- December 17 — 1900 block of Bennett Place, NE
after December 10 shooting
53-year-old Charles Mayo of Northeast, DC.
- December 20 — 4100 block of 8th Street, NW (Stabbing)
17-year-old Jose Ochoa of Northwest, DC.
- 700 block of 24th Street, NE — December 21 (stabbing)
50-year-old Lenard Wills of Northwest, DC.
- December 28 — 1000 block of Savannah, SE (gunshot)
31-year-old Kevin Dennis Prater of no fixed address.
- December 28 — 2300 block of Hartford Street, SE (gunshot)
34-year-old Darnell Antonio Mayfield of Northeast, DC.
#SayThisName for each person lost.
Share this list.
Data are taken from DC’s Metropolitan Police Department notices. (See “About” for a little more.)
For thoughts on responding from a faith perspective, please visit Song Every Day.